Voice Over Wireless LAN (VoWLAN)
Definition - What does Voice Over Wireless LAN (VoWLAN) mean?
Voice Over wireless LAN (VoWLAN) is the usage of wireless broadband for communication in accordance to IEEE 802.11 standards. It is more or less the Voice over Internet protocol over the wireless network.
As it brings in significant benefits like reduction of telephony costs and enabling mobile applications, VoWLAN is preferred not only by home users but also by enterprises, retail stores, hospitals and warehouses.
Techopedia explains Voice Over Wireless LAN (VoWLAN)
An extension of the wired voice over internet protocol systems, VoWLAN is considered as an alternative to traditional way of communication, both digital as well as analog.With voice over wireless LAN, users can do voice communication inside and outside of the facility.This is similar in experience to a wired one, except for the mobility of the user, who is not restricted just to a specific area in the facility. Advanced VoWLAN is also available which allows users to place calls directly from their handsets.
Benefits of VoWLAN:
- Increased mobility: Users are not restricted to a particular location or premises.
- A common infrastructure can be provided to the user for both data and voice traffic.
- Easier to deploy and best for flexible communications.
- Significant reduction in telephony costs.
- Indirectly increases the productivity of the users, who are not restricted to a location and the information flow can be continued without the restriction of a premise.
- Increased accessibility to users and information is possible through voice over wireless LAN.
- Increased responsiveness among users help organization in effectively look into customer’s issues.
- Can provide a well set in-building coverage needed for most industries.
- Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP)
- Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN)
- Wireless Internet Service Provider (WISP)
- Wireless Bridge
- Spam Over Internet Telephony (SPIT)
- Voice Peering
- Wireless Communications
- Enterprise Voice Over Internet Protocol (Enterprise VoIP)
- Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP) Packet Loss
- VoIP Trunk Gateway
7 Tips For Selecting an Enterprise Mobile Device Management Solution
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: