Techopedia Explains Storage ManagementThe category of storage management software consists of various subcategories covering aspects such as security, virtualization and more, as well as different types of provisioning or automation, which makes up the entire storage management software market. For example, storage management tools may address network virtualization, mirroring, traffic analysis or storage provisioning.
Many different storage solutions offer fault tolerance and data redundancy — for example, the redundant array of independent disks (RAID) strategy involves setting up multiple partitioned drives to hold data. This may be done in various ways, for example, by "striping," where a system adds data to each of the RAID pieces incrementally, in a kind of round-robin approach. These types of systems support crisis management, consistent data backup and sophisticated, reliable data storage.
- Video: George Dyson on Big Data's Birth and Where It's Headed
- How to Optimize Your Enterprise Storage Solution
- Cloud vs. Local Backup: Which Do You Need?
- Job Role: IoT Product Manager
- Are You an IT Thought Leader? Write for Techopedia!
- Tech Career Pivot: Where the Jobs Are (and Aren’t)