Outage Management System (OMS)
Definition - What does Outage Management System (OMS) mean?
Techopedia explains Outage Management System (OMS)
An outage management system has the following features:
- Prioritizes restoration efforts and management of resources upon outages
- Provides supervisors with an estimated timeline of restoration
- Reports the actual cause of the outage
- Provides accurate information about the extent of the outage and its impact on customers and their management
- Prioritization of resources and planning involved in outage management software results in reduced outages and faster recovery.
- Customer relationship is improved due to better management of outage issues.
- Because of the tracking involved, there is better prediction of outages, allowing them to be handled properly.
- Operational efficiency is increased compared to situations where an outage management system is not in place.
- Operational visibility across the network increases greatly with the use of an outage management system.
- Decision making is faster for supervisors because of the reports provided by the application, even in cases of complex outages.