Optical Transport Network (OTN)
Techopedia Explains Optical Transport Network (OTN)Optical Transport Network is defined by the ITU Telecommunication Standardization Sector (ITU-T); the ITU-T recommendation G.709 is referred to as the Optical Transport Network protocol. G.709 may also be called "digital wrapper technology" or "optical channel wrapper technology."
Optical Transport Network has been built on the premise of synchronous optical networking (SONET) and synchronous digital hierarchy (SDH), which use a system of laser pulses for transmission. These types of systems emerged to handle large sets of data over fiber-optic telecom systems, where more sophisticated protocols could handle synchronization better.
- How Network Time Protocol Keeps the Internet Ticking
- An Introduction to the OSI Model
- LAN WAN PAN MAN: Staying Connected While Working Remotely
- The Role of Knowledge Graphs in Artificial Intelligence
- 7 Salesforce Alternatives to Consider in 2021
- 7 Ways Technology Has Changed Television