What Does Web Component Mean?
A Java web component is a server-side object used by a Web-based client (browsers) to interact with J2EE applications. Web components come in two types:
- Java Servlet: A server-side Web component used to process requests and construct responses.
- JavaServer Pages: Used to create dynamic Web content and server/platform-independent Web-based applications.
Techopedia Explains Web Component
A Web browser interacts with a J2EE application via the Java Servlet and JavaServer Pages Web components. However, Web component development and execution processes differ from typical stand-alone Java classes.
The Web container – the environment where Web components are executed – also provides services required for execution. If a Web component is executed by a Web container, the component must first be deployed in a Web container.
There are four basic steps involved in Web component development and execution:
- Writing Web component code. A deployment descriptor also may be included in the code.
- Packaging the Web component, along with the resources referenced in the code such as images and videos.
- Installing the Web component in the Web container.
- Accessing the link that refers to the Web component.