Component-Based Development (CBD)
Definition - What does Component-Based Development (CBD) mean?
Component-based development techniques involve procedures for developing software systems by choosing ideal off-the-shelf components and then assembling them using a well-defined software architecture. With the systematic reuse of coarse-grained components, CBD intends to deliver better quality and output.
Component-based development is also known as component-based software engineering (CBSE).
Techopedia explains Component-Based Development (CBD)
Component-based development techniques consist of non-conventional development routines, including component evaluation, component retrieval, etc. It is important that the CBD is carried out within a middleware infrastructure that supports the process, for example, Enterprise Java Beans.
The key goals of CBD are as follows:
- Save time and money when building large and complex systems: Developing complex software systems with the help of off-the-shelf components helps reduce software development time substantially. Function points or similar techniques can be used to verify the affordability of the existing method.
- Enhance the software quality: The component quality is the key factor behind the enhancement of software quality.
- Detect defects within the systems: The CBD strategy supports fault detection by testing the components; however, finding the source of defects is challenging in CBD.
- Minimized delivery:
- Search in component catalogs
- Recycling of pre-fabricated components
- Improved efficiency:
- Developers concentrate on application development
- Improved quality:
- Component developers can permit additional time to ensure quality
- Minimized expenditures
- Component development
- Component publishing
- Component lookup as well as retrieval
- Component analysis
- Component assembly
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: