What Does European Research Consortium for Informatics and Mathematics Mean?
The European Research Consortium for Informatics and Mathematics (ERCIM) is a research consortium focused on research projects in computer science and mathematics. Founded in 1988, ERCIM has members from leading European information technology and mathematics research establishments from 18 countries. The nonprofit organization’s aim is to foster collaborative work and improve cooperation within European industry and the European research community. Apart from hosting the European branch of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), the European Research Consortium for Informatics and Mathematics is a major representative organization in its area.
Techopedia Explains European Research Consortium for Informatics and Mathematics
The European Research Consortium for Informatics and Mathematics acts as a bridge between the academic community and industry, and is often considered a major stakeholder when it comes to technology transfer for the European continent. With over 10,000 engineers and researchers, ERCIM can undertake any development, consultancy or educational project based on mathematics, computer science or information technology. Members of the consortium are involved in a wide range of research and advanced developments with industry and account for more than 250 European projects such as ESPRIT, RACE and EUREKA.
The objectives of the European Research Consortium for Informatics and Mathematics are to:
- Promote research on the European level on subjects such as mathematics, computer science & information technology
- Contribute to future European research programs related to mathematics, computer & information technology and to promote them
- Establish a European consortium of excellence in mathematics, computer science and information technology and support complementary research projects
- Utilize pooled resources and thereby strengthen the European position on the global front in the R&D market
Current activities of ERCIM include:
- Scientific publications and newsletters
- Sponsored workshop programs
- Working groups focusing on themes
- Training programs
- Annual seminars and post-doctoral fellowship program
The headquarters of ERCIM is located in Sophia-Antipolis, France.