Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
Definition - What does Federal Communications Commission (FCC) mean?
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is an independent US government agency regulating interstate and international communication by means of radio, television, satellite and cable. The Federal Communications Commission has the right to issue warnings, impose monetary fines and even revoke licenses for airing inappropriate content.
Techopedia explains Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
The mission of the Federal Communications Commission is to ensure availability of national and worldwide communication services to Americans at reasonable cost and without any prejudice or discrimination. Established by the Communications Act of 1934, the Federal Communications Commission is comprised of five commissioners holding five-year terms appointed by the president. One of the five commissioners is also selected as the chairperson. Day-to day functions of the Federal Communications Commission are handled by ten offices and seven bureaus, namely:
- Consumer & Governmental Affairs Bureau (CGB) — Responsible for addressing all consumer-related issues
- Enforcement Bureau (EB) — Enforces the rules and orders of the Commission
- International Bureau (IB) — Handles and enforces regulations dealing with international communication
- Media Bureau (MB) — Responsible for creating, recommending and administering policies related to television and electronic media
- Public Safety & Homeland Security Bureau — Responsible for public safety communications and programs
- Wireless Telecommunications Bureau — Responsible for programs and policies related to the Commission’s domestic wireless telecommunications
- Wireline Competition Bureau (WCB) — Enforces the Commission’s policies with regards to common carriers
Although they hold their own specific functionalities, the bureaus and offices regularly collaborate in addressing issues related to the commission.
3 Amazing Examples of Artificial Intelligence in Action
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: