Definition - What does Accelerator mean?
An accelerator is a hardware device or a
software program with a main function of enhancing the overall performance of
the computer. There are various types of accelerators available to help with enhancing the performance of different aspects of a computer's function.
Techopedia explains Accelerator
Accelerators help in boosting the overall performance of a computer. There are various accelerators available which work by improving the overall performance of the system. Some of these include:
- Hardware accelerator: This is used to enhance the speed and performance of the computer as it works by performing functions faster than the central processing unit (CPU).
- Graphics accelerator: This works by enhancing the graphics rendering capability.
- Cryptographic accelerator: This helps in faster encryption and decryption.
- Web accelerator: This is a proxy server that improves the speed of internet.
- PHP accelerator: This speeds up the PHP applications.