Test Case Generation
Definition - What does Test Case Generation mean?
Test case generation is the process of writing SQL test cases for verifying and testing database functionalities. Relational databases are queried by SQL statements, so the test cases are also generated in SQL. Test cases are designed based of the functionalities of an application. So it varies from one application to another. The purpose of test case generation is to check the output against expected results. Based on the results, either the test case is modified or kept as it is.
Techopedia explains Test Case Generation
The aim of testing is to find bugs in a system or application. Test case generation is the process of building test suites for detecting system errors. A test suite is a group of relevant test cases bundled together. Test case generation is the most important and fundamental process of software testing.
There are multiple techniques available for generating test cases:
- Goal-oriented approach – The purpose of the goal-oriented test case generation approach is to cover a particular section, statement or function. Here the execution path is not important, but testing the goal is the primary objective.
- Random approach – The random approach generates test cases based on assumptions of errors and system faults.
- Specification-based technique – This model generates test cases based on the formal requirement specifications.
- Source-code-based technique – The source-code-based case generation approach follows a control flow path to be tested, and the test cases are generated accordingly. It tests the execution paths.
- Sketch-diagram-based approach – This type of case generation approach follows the Unified Modeling Language (UML) diagram to formulate the test cases.
Apart from these test case generation approaches, there are multiple other processes available in the testing world. But whatever the approach, a proper test case generation process is one of the most critical factors for successful project implementation.
Why Traditional Database Technology Fails to Scale
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: