Object Request Broker (ORB)
Definition - What does Object Request Broker (ORB) mean?
An object request broker (ORB) is a middleware application component that uses the common object request broker architecture (CORBA) specification, enabling developers to make application calls within a computer network. ORB is an agent that transmits client/server operation invocations in a distributed environment and ensures transparent object communication.
ORB supports a wide variety of middleware services, including but not limited to notification, event triggers, transaction processing, persistence and security. ORB can be configured to fit into a variety of environments and handle a wide range of client requests. Thus, developers can modify ORB to meet task requirements for inbound client requests.
Techopedia explains Object Request Broker (ORB)
ORB does the following:
- Searches, matches and instantiates remote machine objects
- Gathers parameters between application objects
- Handles security issues across machine boundaries
- Retrieves and publishes data objects on local machines available for other ORBs
- Invokes remote object methods using static and dynamic method invocation.
- Instantiates idle objects automatically
- Routes callback methods
- Communicates Inter-ORB Protocol (IIOP) with other ORBs via the Internet
Developers should handle ORB with knowledge and care when applied as a solution to recurring distributed environment issues. If handled incorrectly, issues may intensify. The disadvantages of ORB include:
- Lack of asynchronous transaction support
- Lack of nonobject-oriented legacy application integration support
- Lack of standard ORB implementation in CORBA standard
Microsoft has developed proprietary ORB approaches in the Common Object Model (COM) and Distributed Common Object Model (DCOM).
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: