What Does Artificial Intelligence Engineer Mean?
An artificial intelligence engineer is someone whose job is to identify the right approach to using AI to solve a specific business problem. In the enterprise, AI engineers typically work closely with machine learning engineers to develop and deploy learning algorithms that can use historical and real-time data to predict future events. In smaller companies, the same person (AI/ML engineer) may be responsible for both AI strategy and implementation.
AI engineers need a strong background in math and statistics. Ideally, they are also familiar with Python and R, as well as their most commonly-used libraries and packages. Basic responsibilities for an AI engineer include the following:
- Establish business objectives for implementing AI.
- Brainstorm with other IT team members to explore how machine learning concepts can be used solve specific business problems.
- Develop proof of concepts (POCs).
- Identify obstacles that could potentially put an AI-driven project at risk and research workarounds.
- Create metrics to measure an AI project’s return on investment (ROI).
- Promote best practices for data wrangling, data processing and project documentation.