Definition - What does Cupcake mean?
Cupcake is the codename given to the third update of the Android mobile operating system. Cupcake, based on version 2.6.27 of the Linux kernel, is also known as Android 1.5 and was officially released on April 30, 2009.
Techopedia explains Cupcake
Among the new features introduced in Cupcake were:
- An on-screen soft keyboard that provided a user dictionary for custom words and worked in both portrait and landscape orientations;
- New live folders and widgets like an analog clock, calendar, and music player, that could fill the Home screen;
- Bluetooth support for A2DP and AVCRP profiles as well as auto-pairing; and
- A browser that allowed copy and paste, user-selectable text-encoding, and on-page searching.
This update to the Android featured system-wide refinements and enhancements, including:
- Refinements on all core UI elements, animated window transitions, and accelerometer-based application rotations.
- Enhancements for The user interface of Contacts, SMS & MMS, Gmail, Calendar, the camera and gallery.
- An enhanced application management system.
- Faster camera start-up and image capture.
- Faster acquisition of GPS locations.
- Smoother page scrolling in the Browser.
- Faster list scrolling in GMail conversations.
Astounding Sci-Fi Ideas That Came True (and Some That Didn't)
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: