Digital Rights Management (DRM)
Definition - What does Digital Rights Management (DRM) mean?
Digital rights management (DRM) is any access control technology used to protect and license digital intellectual property (IP). DRM is used by publishers, manufacturers and IP owners for digital content and device monitoring.
Digital media licensees benefit from an open and fair range of DRM licensing options, which balance the rights of IP owners and Internet users, translating to exponential profits for digital product manufacturers and retailers.
Techopedia explains Digital Rights Management (DRM)
DRM protects copyrighted digital software, music, films, TV shows, games and similar media.
Consumer advocacy groups argue that aggressive DRM protection denies fair digital media access. However, DRM continues to be a viable tool for managing digital privacy, averting piracy and fair compensation to IP owners.
Digital rights advocacy groups include:
- Entertainment Consumers Association (ECA): Nonprofit organization dedicated to the interests of computer and video game players in the U.S. and Canada. Based in the U.S.
- Free Software Foundation (FSF): Nonprofit organization that supports the free software movement
- Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF): International nonprofit organization that deals in digital rights advocacy and legal affairs
- Digital Rights Ireland: Organization in the Republic of Ireland working for civil liberties related to digital rights
- European Digital Rights (EDR): International advocacy group based in Belgium that focuses on copyright, security, freedom of expression and privacy
- Open Rights Group (ORG): U.K. organization committed to preserving digital rights. Focuses on censorship, knowledge access, privacy, freedom of information and electronic voting (e-voting).
New Advances in Biometrics: A More Secure Password
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: