Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML)
Definition - What does Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML) mean?
Security Assertion Markup Language is a language protocol for handling authentication and authorization in a network. It is one of various XML-based markup languages available to help with aspects of web development and use.
Techopedia explains Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML)
The idea of Security Assertion Markup Language involves putting together the end user with other parties, including the identity provider and service provider. Using different kinds of authentication, Security Assertion Markup Language helps processes to handle these multiple roles and authentication "triangles" in customized ways to accommodate a Single Sign On (SSO) authentication. SAML is a popular resource for SSO, but competes with other technologies that facilitate this kind of access, such as OpenID.
Security Assertion Markup Language is a product of the Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards (OASIS) Security Services Technical Committee and developed in the early years of the twenty-first century. SAML combines a number of technologies including XML, hypertext transfer protocol (HTTP) and simple object access protocol (SOAP), an application layer protocol that helps to identify parts of SAML processes.
- Extensible Markup Language (XML)
- Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP)
- Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP)
- Organization For The Advancement Of Structured Information Standards (OASIS)
- Hypertext Markup Language (HTML)
- Extensible Business Reporting Language (XBRL)
- Regular Language for XML Next Generation (RELAX NG)
- Astronomical Markup Language (AML)
- Directory Service Markup Language (DSML)
- Information and Content Exchange (ICE)
7 Tips For Selecting an Enterprise Mobile Device Management Solution
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: