Security Incident and Event Management (SIEM)
Definition - What does Security Incident and Event Management (SIEM) mean?
Security incident and event management (SIEM) is the process of identifying, monitoring, recording and analyzing security events or incidents within a real-time IT environment. It provides a comprehensive and centralized view of the security scenario of an IT infrastructure.
Security incident and event management is also known as security information event management.
Techopedia explains Security Incident and Event Management (SIEM)
SIEM is implemented via software, systems, appliances, or some combination of these items. There are, generally speaking, six main attributes of an SIEM system:
- Retention: Storing data for long periods so that decisions can be made off of more complete data sets.
- Dashboards: Used to analyze (and visualize) data in an attempt to recognize patterns or target activity or data that does not fit into a normal pattern.
- Correlation: Sorts data into packets that are meaningful, similar and share common traits. The goal is to turn data into useful information.
- Alerting: When data is gathered or identified that trigger certain responses - such as alerts or potential security problems - SIEM tools can activate certain protocols to alert users, like notifications sent to the dashboard, an automated email or text message.
- Data Aggregation: Data can be gathered from any number of sites once SIEM is introduced, including servers, networks, databases, software and email systems. The aggregator also serves as a consolidating resource before data is sent to be correlated or retained.
- Compliance: Protocols in a SIEM can be established that automatically collect data necessary for compliance with company, organizational or government policies.
Experts Share the Top Cybersecurity Trends to Watch for in 2017
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: