Definition - What does Application Software mean?
Application software is a program or group of programs designed for end users. These programs are divided into two classes: system software and application software. While system software consists of low-level programs that interact with computers at a basic level, application software resides above system software and includes database programs, word processors, spreadsheets, etc. Application software may be grouped along with system software or published alone.
Application software may simply be referred to as an application.
Techopedia explains Application Software
The different types of application software are:
- Application Suite: Has multiple applications bundled together. Related functions, features and user interfaces interact with each other.
- Enterprise Software: Addresses an organization's needs and data flow in a huge distributed environment.
- Enterprise Infrastructure Software: Provides capabilities required to support enterprise software systems.
- Information Worker Software: Addresses individual needs required to manage and create information for individual projects within departments.
- Content Access Software: Used to access contents and addresses a desire for published digital content and entertainment.
- Educational Software: Holds contents adopted for use by students.
- Media Development Software: Addresses individual needs to generate and print electronic media for others to consume.
More From Our Experts
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: