What Does Countermeasure Mean?
A countermeasure is an action or method that is applied to prevent, avert or reduce potential threats to computers, servers, networks, operating systems (OS) or information systems (IS). Countermeasure tools include anti-virus software and firewalls.
Techopedia Explains Countermeasure
In IT systems, multiple countermeasures may be applied for enhanced security. Protective countermeasures may be in the form of hardware or software.
- Routers: Mask Internet Protocol (IP) addresses
- Anti-virus and anti-spyware applications: Protect against malicious software (malware), including viruses, Trojans and adware
- Behavioral techniques: Applied by users to deter threats, such as suspicious email attachments
- Firewalls: Facilitate authorized network access
- Intrusion detection systems (IDS): Prevent and/or block unauthorized system access
- Physical security (especially in enterprises): Prevents hacking and network subterfuge