Advanced Configuration And Power Interface (ACPI)
Definition - What does Advanced Configuration And Power Interface (ACPI) mean?
Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) is an industry specification intended for the efficient management of power consumption in mobile and desktop computers. ACPI describes the way in which a computer's standard input/output system, peripheral devices and operating system (OS) correspond regarding power consumption. ACPI’s key goal is to consolidate, examine and enhance the present power and configuration standards meant for hardware devices.
Launched December 1996, ACPI specifies platform-independent interfaces intended for configuration, hardware discovery, monitoring and power management. This standard was initially designed by Intel, Toshiba and Microsoft and later accompanied by Phoenix and HP.
Techopedia explains Advanced Configuration And Power Interface (ACPI)
ACPI includes various related components for software and hardware programming, as well as a unified standard for power/device interaction and bus configuration. With ACPI, the following functions are feasible, presuming they are supported by the OS:
- Users can specify a time in which a device, such as a display monitor, is turned off or on.
- Users of a notebook computer can specify low level power consumption during a low-battery warning, allowing required applications to run while making less important applications inactive.
- OSs can reduce the clock speed if the applications do not require full processor clock speed.
- OSs can decrease peripheral device and motherboard power consumption through the inactivation of devices, when not required.
- Computers can go into standby mode if the system is not in use. However, the modem power remains on so that incoming mails/faxes may be received.
7 Tips For Selecting an Enterprise Mobile Device Management Solution
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: