Definition - What does Windows Registry mean?
The Windows registry is a hierarchically structured database that is used to store data related to configuration settings, software and user preferences in a Microsoft Windows operating system (OS). It contains entries and values that control the behavior of certain configurations and user preferences, as well as information for OS components and applications that operate at a low level.
Most Windows applications write entries into the Windows registry during the installation process.
Techopedia explains Windows Registry
Windows registry features and advantages are as follows:
- All low-level and third-party OS components and applications, like device drivers and kernels, can access the registry.
- To profile system performance, it facilitates access to the necessary counters.
- It stores and reflects user changes to configurations, preferences, policies and applications.
- Depending on the Windows version, it stores physical registry files in different locations.
- It contains two elements: keys, which are similar in concept to Windows folders, and values, which are similar to files.
- Registry files must be edited with the registry editor or another third-party application, as file modifications cannot be directly applied.
- Although it is possible to physically delete registry values and keys, Microsoft provides the RegClean tool to automate this process.
- Transferring per-program user settings between Windows machines is tedious, as the Windows registry is largely dependent on the local machine.
- Although versions as old as Windows NT use transaction log files based on two levels to protect registry entries, any registry corruption can be resolved by reinstalling the OS.
- It needs a dedicated uninstaller to remove registry entries for applications based on a .NET framework.
The Past, Present and Future of Autonomic Computing
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
Free Whitepaper: The Path to Hybrid Cloud:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: