Definition - What does Expert System mean?
An expert system is a computer program that is designed to emulate and mimic human intelligence, skills or behavior.
It is mainly developed using artificial intelligence concepts, tools and technologies, and possesses expert knowledge in a particular field, topic or skill.
Techopedia explains Expert System
An expert system is typically designed to provide capabilities similar to those of a human expert when performing a task. Moreover, it can be used to drive vehicles, provide financial forecasts or do things that human experts do.
An expert system usually has two core components:
- Knowledge base -- This component consists of data, facts and rules for a certain topic, industry or skill, usually equivalent to that of a human expert.
- Interference engine -- This component uses the facts and rules in the knowledge base to find and learn new knowledge or patterns.
- Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Subject Matter Expert (SME)
- Artificial Neural Network (ANN)
- Distributed Artificial Intelligence (DAI)
- Artificial Intelligence Robot (AIBO)
- Artificial Intelligence Lab (MIT AI Lab)
- Artificial Linguistic Computer Entity (ALICE)
- Brain-Machine Interface (BMI)
- Software Agent
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: