Definition - What does Core Network mean?
A core network is a telecommunication network's core part, which offers numerous services to the customers who are interconnected by the access network. Its key function is to direct telephone calls over the public-switched telephone network.
In general, this term signifies the highly functional communication facilities that interconnect primary nodes. The core network delivers routes to exchange information among various sub-networks. When it comes to enterprise networks that serve a single organization, the term backbone is often used instead of core network, whereas when used with service providers the term core network is prominent.
This term is also known as network core or backbone network.
Techopedia explains Core Network
Core networks usually offer the following features:
- Aggregation: The top degree of aggregation can be seen in a service provider network. Next in the hierarchy within the core nodes is the distribution networks, followed by the edge networks.
- Authentication: Determines whether the user demanding a service from a telecom network is permitted to complete the task within the network.
- Call Control or Switching: Determines the future span of a call depending on the processing of call signaling.
- Charging: Deals with the processing and collation of charging the data created by multiple network nodes.
- Service Invocation: A core network executes the service invocation task for its customers. Service invocation may occur in line with some precise activity (such as call forwarding) by the users or unconditionally (such as for call waiting).
- Gateways: Should be used in core network for accessing other networks. The functionality of gateways depends on the kind of network to which it is connected.
7 Tips For Selecting an Enterprise Mobile Device Management Solution
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: