What Does Java Management Extensions Mean?
Java Management Extensions (JMX) is a Java technology that defines standards for implementing management interfaces for Java applications and supplies tools for managing and monitoring applications, system objects, devices, and server-oriented networks. It consists of an architecture, design patterns, application programming interfaces (APIs), and services for application and network management.
JMX technology provides lightweight management extensions to Java-based applications. It is native to the Java programming language.
Techopedia Explains Java Management Extensions
JMX provides state-of-the-art management solutions for Java applications and network services. It also provides Java developers with a way to implement Java code and create smart Java agents.
The JMX architecture is classified into three levels:
- Level 1: This level is referred to as the probe level. It consists of probes or MBeans and is also known as the instrumentation level because it mainly deals with the instrumentation of resources.
- Level 2: This level is known as the agent level. MBeanServer acts as an intermediary between probes or MBean and Java applications.
- Level 3: Also known as the remote management level, it allows a client (remote application) to connect to the MBeanServer with the help of protocol connectors and adapters.
JMX technology enables the integration of existing management solutions. It can be used to manage and monitor the Java Virtual Machine (JVM). JMX technology is also used in collecting application behavior statistics, changing the configuration of applications, and for error and state change notifications. It allows Java developers to encapsulate resources and expose the resources as objects in a distributed environment.
JMX technology offers the following advantages in building a management infrastructure:
- Java applications can be managed without heavy investment. The impact on Java application design is almost negligible.
- JMX provides component-based architecture, which is scalable, efficient and reliable. The components can be chosen as required.
- JMX provides seamless integration with existing management solutions. Multiple protocols can be handled, such as Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP), Web-Based Enterprise Management and HTTP.