MERA VoIP Transit Softswitch (MVTS)
Definition - What does MERA VoIP Transit Softswitch (MVTS) mean?
The MERA VoIP Transit Softswitch (MVTS) is a carrier-class program developed by MERA Systems Inc. and designed for Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) carrier businesses.
MVTS includes both gatekeeper and proxy functionality, which helps to provide both smooth and flexible traffic management. The MVTS session controller also ensures smooth peering of VoIP networks.
Techopedia explains MERA VoIP Transit Softswitch (MVTS)
The MVTS is a comprehensive solution designed to simplify network infrastructure and efficiently handle high-volume IP telephony transit across the carrier’s network. MVTS supports a number of protocols, including:
- H.323 v.2
- H.245 v.7
- H.225 v.4
- SIP v.2 (RFC 2543 bis)
- SNMP v.1
- RADIUS authentification
- RADIUS accounting
There are two types of MVTS architecture available:
- Single-Server MVTS Architecture: Has a system traffic throughput capacity ranging from 30 to 1,500 concurrent calls per server in E1 multiples
- Two- and Three-Level Cluster Architecture: Has a capacity ranging between 4,500 and 4,000 simultaneous call sessions
MVTS is a full-fledged softswitch that provides the following functionality:
- Static and dynamic endpoint servicing
- Two way H.323/SIP translation and conversion of media codecs to ensure interoperability with variegated networks and equipment
- Call detail records and RADIUS application program interface for simple integration with billing systems
- Load balancing and bandwidth management for efficient use of network resources
- A carrier-grade solution that is fully redundant and scalable up to 40,000 simultaneous calls
- Elaborate call routing based on the embedded routing engine and on the external RADIUS-aided method
MERA Systems changed its name to ALOE Systems Inc. in 2010.
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: