Definition - What does Portable Computer mean?
They have lower specifications and are not well suited for full-time usage as they are less ergonomic. However, they take less space than desktop computers and come with most features found on a desktop.
Techopedia explains Portable Computer
- Compared to other mobile computing device or laptop, portable computer makes use of standard motherboards and also provide plug in slots for add in cards.
- Portability and flexibility to use is a definite advantage for portable computer over desktop computers.
- Portable computers use less space than desktop computers and are smaller in size.
- Compared to a desktop computer, the power consumed is less in case of portable computer and can help in power and cost savings.
- Compared to desktop computers, immediacy is more pronounced in the case of portable computers.
Disadvantages of a portable computer:
- They have a lower specification than most desktop systems.
- They are less ergonomic and are less suited for full-time usage in most of the cases.
- Expansion is tough and any repair could prove costly.
- Most of portable computers are not upgradeable.
- Compared to desktop systems, they are less reliable mostly due to overheating problems and often run slower.
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: