Definition - What does Portable Computer mean?
They have lower specifications and are not well suited for full-time usage as they are less ergonomic. However, they take less space than desktop computers and come with most features found on a desktop.
Techopedia explains Portable Computer
- Compared to other mobile computing device or laptop, portable computer makes use of standard motherboards and also provide plug in slots for add in cards.
- Portability and flexibility to use is a definite advantage for portable computer over desktop computers.
- Portable computers use less space than desktop computers and are smaller in size.
- Compared to a desktop computer, the power consumed is less in case of portable computer and can help in power and cost savings.
- Compared to desktop computers, immediacy is more pronounced in the case of portable computers.
Disadvantages of a portable computer:
- They have a lower specification than most desktop systems.
- They are less ergonomic and are less suited for full-time usage in most of the cases.
- Expansion is tough and any repair could prove costly.
- Most of portable computers are not upgradeable.
- Compared to desktop systems, they are less reliable mostly due to overheating problems and often run slower.