Techopedia Explains Satellite Internet
Primary components of satellite Internet are
- Satellite in the geostationary orbit.
- Ground stations which are gateways to relay the data from and to the satellite.
- Dish antenna with transceiver, which is provided at the user’s premises.
Advantages of satellite Internet:
1. Most ideal internet access for users who live in rural areas, or live far away from cities or cable or phone offices.
2. As it uses satellite dish for the two-way communication, does not need telephone cables or lines.
3. Compared to other internet options, there is less or negligible network outages in case of satellite internet.
Disadvantages of satellite Internet:
- Set-up fees and equipment more expensive than traditional Internet services, as are repairs.
- Connection speed usually slower than cable, DSL or fiber optic services due to signal latency.
- Potential delay in upload and download of data.