When it comes to legal, safe, and exciting Indiana online gambling, there are options for everyone. If you are a sports fan looking to back your favorite teams, IN sports betting apps will allow you to place your bets from anywhere in Hoosier State. If you’re looking to try your luck at the blackjack tables or spin the reels of the latest slot machines, visit one of Indiana’s many casinos. You can also bet on horse racing or buy lottery tickets.
But with so many exciting choices, finding the right way to gamble in Indiana can be a challenge. To help you get started on your IN gambling journey, our team of gambling experts at Techopedia.com wrote this complete guide to IN gambling. It includes legislation, in-person and online venues, the types of gambling available in the state, and the best IN gambling bonuses and promotions to get you started.
Indiana Online Gambling Legislation Timeline
Gambling in Indiana goes back more than 160 years. The state didn’t have any gambling laws until 1851 when the people of Indiana voted to amend the state’s constitution and make lotteries illegal. Fast forward to 1988, where IN voters repealed the 1851 amendment, and the Hoosier Lottery was launched in the state.
The vote to approve Indiana’s State Lottery created momentum that led to a 1993 bill that saw the introduction of water-based casinos, followed by the Pokagon Band of Potawatomi Indians gaining federal recognition in 1994. In the same year, Hoosier Park, Indiana’s first racetrack, opened its doors. Then, in the early 2000s, several IN riverboats and land-based casinos followed suit.
In the past decade, the advancement of technology and tectonic shift in federal laws triggered a chain of events that brought legal sports betting to Indiana. Now, some of the best online sportsbooks in the US are available within IN state borders.
IN Online Gambling Key Moments
- March 2023: HB1536 which would have served to legalize gambling forms such as poker and blackjack online, fails to advance in the 2023 session
- October 3, 2019: DraftKings and BetRivers, Indiana’s first online sportsbooks, go live.
- September 1, 2019: Indiana Grand Casino, Ameristar Casino, and Hollywood Casino Lawrenceburg launch retail sportsbooks and take the first bets in IN. The first legal wagers in the state were placed by Governor Holcomb, who backed Indiana’s Colts and Pacers to win the NFL and NBA, respectively.
- February 4, 2019: Indiana passes its first sports betting bill, HB 1015, in the Indiana House of Representatives. This bill serves as the legal foundation for retail and online sports betting in Indiana.
- March 24, 2016: Mike Pence, who was Governor at the time, signed into law Senate Bill SB 339, which allowed DFS contests.
Indana Online Gambling Summary
To get a more complete overview of the online gambling landscape in Indiana as of October 2023, see the table below:
🚀 Launch Date:
Online sports betting was legalized on February 4, 2019, and launched on October 3, 2019.
👤 Who can play:
Must be at least 21 years old and physically present within state borders
Indiana Gaming Commission (IGC)
🎰 Gambling Available:
Online sports gambling, retail sports betting, DFS, online horse racing gambling, pari-mutuel horse betting, retail casinos, social casinos, lottery
💯 Tax rates:
💲 Application fee:
🪙 Where taxes go:
Gambling addiction education, youth sports, collegiate athletic departments, general fund
🏆 Top Gambling Brands:
BetOnline, Wild Casino, Bovada, Everygame
Indiana Online Gambling Regulation
Gambling in the Hoosier State is regulated by the Indiana Gaming Commission (IGC). Every operator needs to pay a $100,000 initial license fee and a $50 annual renewal fee. Sportsbooks must partner with land-based casinos to operate in the state and are required to pay a 9.5% tax on gross revenues.
The minimum gambling age in Indiana is 21 for casino gambling and sports betting and 18 for charity gaming, lottery, and pari-mutuel betting.
Indiana Online Gambling Bonuses
Nearly all sportsbooks and casinos in the US offer bonuses or incentives for new players to register. And as the Indiana online gambling market is thriving, there’s intense competition between gambling operators for players’ attention. This is good news for IN gamblers, as you can claim generous rewards to boost your bankroll and increase your chances of winning. So, when claiming Indiana bonuses, you get more gambling bang for your buck!
IN sportsbooks and casinos offer welcome bonuses to entice new players to sign up, and they also offer promotions to existing players to reward their loyalty. As gambling operators constantly change promotions, the best way to find the latest bonuses is by clicking on any link on this page and visiting the gambling site’s promo section.
So you know what to expect, our experts listed below the types of bonuses that are popular with Indiana bettors.
A welcome bonus can be any type of promotion offered by an IN gambling site. However, it is only offered to new players. It can be a no-sweat bet or a deposit-match promo, and in some cases, you’ll get a bonus simply for signing up to an Indiana sportsbook or casino.
Deposit Match Bonuses
When claiming this bonus, the Indiana online gambling operator will match your deposit with a certain percentage of bonus money. For example, if you deposit $100 on an Indiana sportsbook that offers a 100% deposit match up to $100, the sportsbook will credit your account with $100 bonus money on top of your $100 deposit, leaving you with $200 to stake on bets.
You can cash out your winnings but beware of the bonus terms and conditions, such as minimum deposit, playthrough requirements, and expiry dates.
No Deposit Bonus
In some cases, Indiana sportsbooks and casinos will offer you a bonus simply for signing up. You won’t need to make any financial commitment to place bets, and you can cash out your winnings if you’re lucky. Although withdrawals are subject to strict terms and conditions, and these bonuses are sometimes hard to find, they are definitely worth looking for. This is the closest you’ll get to a free lunch when it comes to IN gambling!
Indiana Bonus Codes
Indiana online gambling operators use bonus codes (also known as promo codes) to give players exclusive rewards. An IN promo code will be a combination of numbers and letters that you’ll need to enter during your registration or deposit to unlock a promotion. Usually, these codes will hint at the bonus you can claim.
For example, $50FREE can be an Indiana online sportsbook promo code that unlocks $50 in bonus bets. This code is an example that won’t work at a real IN sportsbook. To find out the latest promos, click on any link to an IN gambling site on this page.
Indiana gambling sites that offer cashback will credit your account with bonus money against a certain amount you’ve spent on your wagers.
Many Indiana sports betting and casino operators will offer you a bonus if you refer a friend to sign up and deposit at the site. You will usually receive from the gambling site a link or special code, which your friend will need to use during registration. If they register and deposit through your referral, you will both receive a bonus.
Indiana Loyalty Programs
Indiana gambling operators offer generous loyalty programs to keep customers coming back and reward you for your loyalty. Online rewards programs with Indiana mobile and online sportsbooks are especially popular.
You will collect points for every dollar you wager on the site and advance through loyalty tiers. The higher the tier, the bigger the benefits you receive, including bonuses, exclusive events, dedicated customer support, tickets to shows, and merchandise. Some Indiana sportsbooks allow you to redeem points for food, drinks, shows, and room upgrades with their land-based casino partners.
How to Register with an Indiana Online Gambling Site
If you are looking to gamble in person in Indiana, just head to one of the state’s many land-based casinos, retail sportsbooks, or racetracks. However, if you don’t have time to book a vacation and travel, you can bet online from anywhere in Indiana. Signing up for an Indiana sportsbook is quick, easy, safe, and 100% legal. Follow this step-by-step guide, and you can be placing your first IN bets in minutes.
Click on any link in this guide to be redirected to an Indiana betting site. Here, look for the registration button to start the process.
Step 2 – Fill Out the Form
Enter your personal details and follow the instructions to create an account. You must provide details, including your name, address, date of birth, and the four last digits of your Social Security number.
Step 3 – Confirm the Registration
Agree to the terms and conditions, and submit your details to confirm your registration.
Step 4 – Make a Deposit
Visit the cashier page, select a payment method and amount you wish to deposit, and follow the instructions to fund your gambling account.
Step 5 – Start Betting
Head to the homepage, select your markets, and confirm your bets on the bet slip. If you are lucky to win, revisit the cashier and follow the instructions to cash out.
Verifying the Account
If you are planning to gamble in Indiana using your phone or tablet, you will need to enable your device’s geolocation services and allow the app to verify that you are betting from the state. If not prompted to do so upon registration, go to your device settings menu and allow the IN sportsbook app to detect your location.
Before withdrawing winnings, you will need to verify your account by uploading or emailing to the gambling site copies of a photo ID, proof of address (e.g. utility bill), and proof of payment method (e.g. bank statement). Verification only needs to be done once and usually takes between a few hours to a couple of business days.
Online and Mobile Gambling in Indiana
Long gone are the days when you had to book vacation days off work, tickets, hotel rooms, and travel to a gambling venue. Thanks to online and mobile gambling sites in Indiana, bettors can now gamble on their computers or phones. Read below for an overview of the different platforms you can gamble on.
While heading to a casino or retail sportsbook can be a thrilling experience, it’s not the only method of wagering for Indiana bettors. Despite online casinos not yet betting legal in Indiana, you can wager on sports from home using any of Hoosier State’s online sports betting sites. With its desktop site, you can fund your account, browse through markets, place bets, and (hopefully) withdraw your winnings from the comfort of your own home.
Indiana Mobile Gambling
Bettors looking to gamble on the move in Indiana have two options to wager; HTML5-optimized mobile sites or native apps for iOS and Android. Mobile sites are powered by technology that allows them to fit any screen size, allowing you to enjoy all the features of their desktop clients on your cell phone or tablet.
If you’re looking for a more responsive and custom-designed experience, most IN gambling sites offer popular native mobile apps. These apps for your Android and iOS apps offer a more responsive experience, in-app notifications offer the latest bonuses and promotions, and a user interface that is designed specifically for your mobile.
Indiana Online Gambling Payment Methods
Online gambling sites in Indiana accept a wide range of banking options for deposits and withdrawals. Different payment options have benefits and drawbacks and you can choose the best payment method to accommodate your needs. Here are a few popular payment methods offered by Indiana online gambling sites.
- Online Banking: Online banking is a payment method that connects your bank to your IN online gambling site, allowing you to make deposits and withdrawals.
- Credit and Debit cards: Credit and debit cards like Visa and Mastercard are accepted at some Indiana online gambling sites. However, some banks from jurisdictions, where legal gambling is not available, may block transactions.
- E-Wallets: E-wallets like PayPal and Skrill are popular payment methods with IN bettors thanks to lightning withdrawals and their ease of use.
- Prepaid Cards: These banking options allow you to top up your balance at stores across Indiana. With Play+, a popular prepaid card, you can even use your bet winnings to pay for purchases anywhere accepting the Discover card.
- Wire and Bank Transfer: Another popular method for deposits and withdrawals is wire and bank transfer, where you can wire money directly from your bank. While these offer safe and secure payments, withdrawals may take longer to process.
- Casino Cage: If your operator has a retail sportsbook or partnership with a land-based casino, you can use the casino cage or cashier to deposit and withdraw from your online betting account.
While deposits are instant in most cases, withdrawal times will depend on the payment method you select and the gambling operator’s processing times. Withdrawals usually take between a few hours (for e-wallets) and a few business days (for bank transfers).
Responsible Gambling in Indiana
For most of us, gambling is an exciting source of entertainment and fun. However, if not done responsibly, gambling can become addictive. Thankfully, Indiana offers protective laws and extensive resources for problem gamblers.
The Indiana Gaming Commission offers a Voluntary Exclusion Program (VEP) that allows you to sign up and voluntarily be banned from land-based and online gambling venues in Indiana.
Every Indiana gambling site offers an extensive Responsible Gambling section that includes tools that allow you to set time limits and budgets. You will also find resources and links to help bodies.
Indiana Problem Gambling Resources
- Indiana Council on Problem Gambling – 1-800-944-8448
- National Council on Problem Gambling – 1-800-522-4700
- Indiana Government Problem Gambling Help Site
Indiana Sports Betting
Sports betting has been legal in Indiana since Governor Eric Holcomb signed bill HB 1015 into law on May 8, 2019. You can now visit 12 retail sportsbooks at land-based casinos to bet in person, or place wagers anywhere within IN state lines using 14 betting apps.
There is a wide range of professional and college sports available for betting in IN. We’ve highlighted some of the most popular markets below.
- NFL: You’ll find a huge variety of markets for the Indianapolis Colts and all the other NFL teams at IN sportsbooks, including moneylines, point spreads, and totals.
- NBA: The Indiana Pacers play in the NBA Eastern Conference, and you can bet on the team to win the Conference or NBA Championships with futures at the best Indiana online gambling sites.
- MLB: IN betting sites provide markets for every MLB game, and you can combine bets from different events with parlays. You can also add multiple wagers from the same event into a same-game parlay.
- NHL: Most sportsbooks will offer dozens of betting lines for every NHL game, including in-play and pre-game options.
- NCAA: Following Indiana sports betting regulations, you can wager on any NCAA Division I event, including football and basketball. However, you can’t place player props on your favorite athletes.
- International Sports: Indiana bettors can find markets on popular international sports events like European soccer, global basketball competitions, and even niche sports like rugby and cricket.
- Minor Leagues: The best IN betting sites will provide betting lines for minor league teams like the Indiana Indians.
- Other Sports: Many Indiana sportsbooks will offer markets on a wide range of markets for non-major league sports like NASCAR, MMA, boxing, tennis, golf, and lacrosse.
Types of Bets Available in IN
Unless you are betting on college sports, you can place a wide variety of bets on most US sports. Check out some of the most popular options below.
- Moneyline: A moneyline is a simple wager where you bet on which team you think will win an event.
- Point Spreads: With a point spread, the favorite has to win by a point deficit set by the sportsbook for your bet to be successful. The underdog can lose within a particular points margin or win for your wager to come through.
- Totals: A sportsbook will set a total for a market, like total points in a game, and you have to wager on whether the final amount will be over or under that amount.
- Player Props: A player prop is a bet on an athlete to achieve a particular stat like 3-pointers.
- Team Props: When you place a team prop, you bet on a team to hit a certain statistic like total rushing yards.
- Futures: A future is a wager on a significant event in the far future like a team to win the Super Bowl.
- Parlays: You can combine bets from multiple sports events into one wager called a parlay. Every one of your bets has to be successful for you to win your parlay.
Retail Sportsbooks in Indiana
|Ameristar Casino East Chicago||777 Aldis Avenue, East Chicago, IN 46312||Barstool|
|Bally’s Evansville Casino||421 N.W. Riverside Drive, Evansville, IN 47708||William Hill|
|Belterra Casino Resort||777 Belterra Drive, Florence, In 47020||FanDuel|
|Blue Chip Casino||777 Blue Chip Drive, Michigan City, In 46360||FanDuel|
|Caesars Southern Indiana||11999 Casino Center Drive, Elizabeth, IN 47117||Caesars|
|French Lick Resort Casino||8670 W. State Road 56, French Lick, IN 47432||BetRivers|
|Hard Rock Casino Northern Indiana||5400 W. 29th Avenue, Gary, IN 46406||Hard Rock|
|Harrah’s Hoosier Park||4500 Dan Patch Circle, Anderson, IN 46013||Caesars|
|Hollywood Casino Lawrenceburg||777 Hollywood Boulevard, Lawrenceburg, IN 47025||Barstool|
|Horseshoe Casino||777 Casino Center Drive, Hammond, IN 46320||Caesars|
|Indiana Grand Casino Shelbyville||4300 N. Michigan Road, Shelbyville, IN 46176||Caesars|
|Rising Star Casino Resort||777 Rising Star Drive, Rising Sun, IN 47040||TwinSpires|
Indiana Sports Betting Bonuses
In addition to the types of bonuses offered to welcome new players and reward existing ones, Indiana sportsbook operators offer unique bonuses that are tailored to sports fans and bettors.
- Bonus Bets: Sportsbooks often reward players with free stakes for placing specific bets.
- Risk-Free Wagers: When Indiana betting sites offer risk-free wagers, they will cover your loss on a specific bet up to a certain amount.
- Odds Boosts: An odds boost will offer you favorable odds on certain markets or bets.
- Parlay Insurance: A parlay is a bet consisting of more than one wager (leg), where all legs have to come through for a parlay to win. When you claim Parlay insurance, an IN sportsbook will pay out even if one of your bets didn’t win.
Indiana Brick-and-Mortar Casinos
Indiana legalized land-based casino gambling in a special session in 1993, but the first brick-and-mortar location didn’t open its doors until 1996. There are currently 13 land-based casinos in the Hoosier State. Currently, online casino gambling is not legal.
Funny enough with Indiana having a comprehensive set of rules regarding casinos, it does not explicitly state anything about counting cards. So if you feel like testing your skills, this is still legally possible at Indiana casinos.
Which Casino Games Can You Play at IN Brick-and-Mortar Casinos?
You’ll find a wide range of casino games available when you visit a brick-and-mortar casino in Indiana. Check out some of the most popular with IN gamblers.
- Progressive Jackpot Slots
- Video Poker
Land-Based Casinos in Indiana
|Ameristar Casino East Chicago||777 Aldis Avenue, East Chicago, IN 46312|
|Bally’s Evansville Casino||421 N.W. Riverside Drive, Evansville, IN 47708|
|Belterra Casino Resort||777 Belterra Drive, Florence, In 47020|
|Blue Chip Casino||777 Blue Chip Drive, Michigan City, In 46360|
|Caesars Southern Indiana||11999 Casino Center Drive, Elizabeth, IN 47117|
|Four Winds South Bend||3000 Prairie Ave, South Bend, IN 46614|
|French Lick Resort Casino||8670 W. State Road 56, French Lick, IN 47432|
|Hard Rock Casino Northern Indiana||5400 W. 29th Avenue, Gary, IN 46406|
|Harrah’s Hoosier Park||4500 Dan Patch Circle, Anderson, IN 46013|
|Hollywood Casino Lawrenceburg||777 Hollywood Boulevard, Lawrenceburg, IN 47025|
|Horseshoe Casino||777 Casino Center Drive, Hammond, IN 46320|
|Indiana Grand Casino Shelbyville||4300 N. Michigan Road, Shelbyville, IN 46176|
|Rising Star Casino Resort||777 Rising Star Drive, Rising Sun, IN 47040|
Online poker is not legalized yet in Indiana, but you can visit land-based casinos to play at poker tables for cash prizes perfectly legally. Many casinos will offer multiple variations of poker, including Texas Hold’em and Omaha.
The Indiana State Lottery Commission operates Hoosier Lottery, which went live on October 13, 1989. You can buy lottery tickets at thousands of in-person retailers, or you can play scratch cards and other instant games online.
Indiana Sweepstakes Casinos
Sweepstakes casinos are a form of social casino that lets you play casino games online legally and for free or by purchasing sweepstakes coins. Several sweepstake casinos are available in IN, including BetRivers.net, operated by our recommended gambling brand BetRivers.
Daily Fantasy Sports games in Indiana were legalized in 2016, and since then, Hoosiers have been able to create teams of their favorite athletes and compete for cash prizes. There are several DFS operators live in Indiana, including some of our recommended gambling operators like DraftKings and FanDuel.
Best Online Gambling Site Indiana
Overall, there are a lot of great online sports betting operators in Indiana, but BetOnline stands out from the rest.
Click the links on this page to sign up with BetOnline, or any of our other recommended online gambling platforms, today!