Betfair launched in 2000 and quickly became the biggest online sports betting exchange in the world. From this foundation, it built an online sportsbook, casino, and poker empire in Europe. By 2013, Betfair had entered the US market before structural changes saw the company added to Flutter Entertainment’s portfolio of gambling brands.
Betfair Sports eventually merged with TVG and its gaming app was rebranded as Stardust Online Casino. What all this means is that Betfair still offers branded products in Europe but not the US. However, and this is important, Betfair still has a presence in the US through its association with brands linked to Flutter Entertainment.
Specifically, it has links to FanDuel, as well as the aforementioned TVG and Stardust. Therefore, Betfair could launch in New York if Flutter Entertainment’s bosses apply for a state gambling license. This guide reveals everything we know about Betfair New York. We’ve also reviewed what it offers elsewhere in the world so you know what to expect if it enters the Empire State.
Betfair NY Promo Code & Bonus Details
What will you be able to get if Betfair launches in New York? Let’s speculate…
Can You Use Betfair in New York Yet?
No, you can’t use Betfair in New York right now, but this might change. Its parent company, Flutter Entertainment, operates FanDuel New York. Therefore, if the executives at Flutter HQ decide to increase their presence in the state, we might see Betfair NY go live.
NY Online Sports Betting Timeline
- 2013: Betting is legalized in New York so that sportsbooks could launch when federal laws allow.
- 2018: The Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA) is struck down by the Supreme Court, making it possible for New York to implement its betting regulations.
- 2019: Retail sportsbooks, including FanDuel, open in New York’s land-based casinos.
- 2021: Online sports betting is legalized in the State of New York.
- 2022: Nine online sportsbooks launch in January, including PointsBet, FanDuel, and Caesars.
How to use Betfair in New York when it’s Live
Here’s how to join Betfair once it’s open for business in New York:
Step 1: Tap to Join
Our secure sign-up links take you to the homepage of our recommended NY sportsbooks. Once Betfair New York goes live, you can return to this guide and tap the secure sign-up link.
Step 2: Register Your Details
You can tap “join now” on the homepage of your chosen casino or sportsbook. This opens the registration form so you can enter your name, address, date of birth, and the last four digits of your Social Security Number. These pieces of information are used to verify your identity. You need to be 21+ to use legal NY sports betting sites.
Step 3: Verify Your Location
You need to be within New York state lines to use licensed betting sites. Geolocation software within an online sports betting site or mobile app will verify your location.
Step 4: Confirm, Complete, and Deposit
Once the software has verified your identity and location, you can log into your new account. From there, go to the cashier and start betting to claim your welcome bonus.
The Betfair NY Welcome Bonus We Expect
- Bonus amount: Possibly a no-lose bet
- Rollover: TBD
- Min deposit: TBD
- Bonus expiry: TBD
What will the Betfair New York welcome bonus be? That’s a tricky question to answer at this stage, but we can draw on information from a variety of sources to make an educated prediction. Firstly, we know Betfair has links to TVG and FanDuel. Both of these sportsbooks are big on cashback bonuses.
The former gives new customers up to $200 back if their first bet loses. The latter has a $1,000 no sweat first bet. This means FanDuel newbies can insure their first bet against a loss up to $1,000. Both of these bonuses could be used as the template for Betfair’s opening offer.
We can also look at what the top NY online sportsbooks offer. BetRivers offers New Yorkers a $500 second chance bet, while Caesars refunds new customers up to $1,250 if they lose. Other popular NY betting apps have bonus offers that allow you to get betting credit by staking a certain amount.
Another app we can look at for inspiration is Stardust Casino. When Flutter Entertainment took the reins, it rebranded Betfair Online Casino as Stardust. New customers who launch themselves into the Stardust Casino universe can get a $25 sign-up bonus and a $500 deposit match. So, based on precedents set by Betfair, the odds are you’ll receive money back for sports betting and site credit if casino games are available.
How to Claim your Betfair NY Bonus When Available
Here’s how to get the welcome offer and any other promos if Betfair finds its way into New York:
- Tap our secure Betfair NY Sportsbook sign-up link to visit the main website.
- Use the sign-up button to open the registration form and input your details to create an account.
- Log in via the website or mobile app.
- Make a deposit (at least equal to the operator’s minimum)
- Place a qualifying bet to activate your bonus offer.
Will You Need a Promo Code?
No, the chances are you won’t need a promo code to unlock the Betfair NY welcome bonus. We can say this with relative confidence because its stablemates, TVG and FanDuel, don’t ask new customers for codes. Some New York betting sites have welcome bonus codes but, based on our knowledge, Betfair won’t be one of them.
Bonus Terms and Conditions
All NY sportsbooks apply terms and conditions to their promotions. Betfair is no different. Therefore, you should take note of the following terms when you’re shooting for Betfair bonus offers:
You must be an eligible customer. The New York legislature states that licensees can only accept bets from customers who are 21 or older. You don’t need to be a New York resident to use local sportsbooks or casinos, but you must be within New York state lines to be classed as an eligible customer.
You need to use the right link/code. Our links unlock the latest online sports betting bonuses. Companies under the Flutter Entertainment banner don’t typically ask for promo codes, but things might be different at Betfair NY, so check Techopedia for the latest updates.
Meet the minimums. You’ll need to make minimum deposits and bets to trigger all bonuses. The industry average for both is $10, but some legal NY sports betting sites have $5 minimums.
Wagering requirements. You need to put in a bit of work whenever a bonus is released. Casino bonuses have playthrough requirements, which means you have to stake a certain amount to convert site credit into real cash. Sports betting promos are slightly different because you have to wager your bonus bet. Any profit you make from that bet is paid in cash, but the stake (i.e. the bonus) is removed from your account.
Mistakes to Avoid when Claiming a Bonus
We want all NY bettors to get maximum value from their time online, be it at Betfair or any other online sportsbook and casino. With this in mind, here are some important points to remember so you don’t miss out on the latest betting bonuses.
Very few things in life are free, and this is true for gambling bonuses. Even if you claim a no deposit bonus, there will be post-collection wagering requirements i.e. you’ll need to bet some of your own money to release the bonus credit/bonus winnings. Don’t miss out on offers because you fail to comply with the wagering requirements.
Restrictions and limits
Bonuses, whether they’re for online sports betting or casino gaming, always have restrictions and limitations. For example, you’ll never see a promotion that offers an unlimited amount of bonus credit. Restrictions and limits help maintain order. They ensure bonuses are fair for everyone. It’s your job to know how much you need to stake, what the maximum reward is, and the expiration date.
Not all casino games or sports betting markets are created equal. Betfair is known for offering a varied selection of casino and betting promotions, but each one has its own subtle rules. For example, you might be able to get bonus spins by making a deposit. These spins will only be valid on certain slots. Similarly, you might be able to get cashback on losing MLB bets. This means you have to bet on baseball games. Make sure you know what’s expected of you in terms of betting requirements.
More Betfair Casino NY Promotions to Expect
- Monday Madness – a promo code and a $20+ deposit trigger a 10% match bonus and 10 spins (you can claim this bonus up to five times every Monday).
- $1 Million Daily Spin – if you’ve deposited at least $50 within 30 days and have $10+ in your account, you can spin the bonus wheel and play for prizes worth up to $1 million.
- Match Dash – deposit $20+ with a promo code to receive match bonuses worth up to $50 and 10 spins.
- Profit Boost – for the online sports betting fans among you, Betfair may also follow FanDuel and go big on profit boost promotions.
How the Betfair New York Bonus Could Compare to Others
We’ve given you an overview of Betfair’s bonuses based on what’s available at its sister sites. There are some particularly impressive promotions, particularly the $1 million prize wheel, but how do they compare to the bonuses at other NY sportsbooks?
Betfair App New York Review Based on Other States
Betfair blends classic styling with modern features. Let’s provide some context to support this statement. Betfair started out as an online betting exchange in Europe. It eventually evolved into an online sportsbook and casino before it crossed the Atlantic to become a licensed US gambling operator.
Transitioning from one of Europe’s first betting sites to an international brand has shaped the look and feel of Betfair’s products. Add in the extra wrinkle of Flutter Entertainment and its unique software, and you’ve got a rich tapestry of aesthetics and features.
The point we’re making here is that Betfair New York is likely to have a classic look but modern features. If you’re a casino player, there will be progressive jackpot slots and Megaways games. You’ll also have access to live dealer technology. For online sports betting fans, there will be live streaming, onsite statistics and, something Betfair does extremely well, tips.
Pros and Cons
Betfair Sports Betting (9/10)
You can only compare Betfair to the leading online sports betting sites in New York if you know what it’s going to offer. We’ve given you an overview of the software, but now it’s time to talk specifics. Based on what Betfair and its stablemates offer in other parts of the world, you can expect these sports betting options if it enters the Empire State:
Using FanDuel US and Betfair UK as templates, we can say with confidence that a New York app will cover major professional and college sports. There might also be betting markets for niche sports, such as table tennis, chess, and darts. We also can’t ignore the fact Betfair is linked to TVG, which means it could become a leading name on the New York horse racing scene.
This means Betfair New York will cater to a mass-market audience but won’t overlook seasoned sports bettors who want access to something unique. Here are the betting markets you can expect to see if New York lawmakers give Betfair the green light:
- Football, including NCAAF and NFL games
- Basketball, including NCAA and NBA games
- Baseball, including MLB games
- Hockey, including NHL games
- Soccer, including MLS and the English Premier League
- Horse racing
- Boxing and MMA
- Motorsport, including NASCAR and Formula 1
- Table Tennis
- Aussie Rules
- Gaelic Games
- Special Bets
From upstate New York to Long Island and beyond, you’ll be able to make these sports bets if Betfair enters the Empire State:
- Moneyline – picking the winner of an event (e.g. the New York Giants to beat the Denver Broncos) is a moneyline bet.
- Point spreads – these bets give one team a point advantage and one a disadvantage. Your job is to predict whether a team can beat the spread i.e. win by a certain margin.
- Totals – the oddsmakers will set a total (i.e. a points total or score) and you have to predict whether the end result will be over or under it.
- Futures – betting on the outcome of a future event, such as the winner of the Super Bowl, is known as a futures bet.
- Parlays – you can link multiple picks to create a single bet known as a parlay. These picks can come from different events (multi-way parlay) or the same event (same game parlay). Each pick has to be correct for a parlay bet to be declared successful.
- Teasers – parlay bets that allow you to adjust the point spread are known as teasers. Adjusting the spread adjusts the odds.
- Props bets – betting on specific outcomes, such as Player X to score three touchdowns, is known as a prop bet. Props are available for individual players and teams.
We’ve already explained that Betfair blends classic styling with modern features. Some of those “modern features” you can expect to see if this operator gets approved by the New York State Gaming Commission are:
- Pre-event and in-play betting markets
- Desktop and mobile sports betting software
- Live streaming
- Onsite statistics and results
- Betting guides
- Sports betting coverage and tips (via blog and social media)
- Cashouts (the ability to end bets and receive a payout before their natural conclusion)
Betfair Casino New York
Betfair does offer casino games overseas and, as we’ve said, through Stardust Online Casino in the US (New Jersey and Pennsylvania). Therefore, it has the ability to offer casino gaming if it receives an NYS Gaming Commission license. But, as you’ll know from reading our New York online sports betting guides, casino gaming isn’t currently available for desktop or mobile devices. So, even if Betfair does launch an app in the State of New York, it won’t be able to offer casino games until the local laws change.
Assuming New York State gaming laws are updated to allow online casinos, expect Betfair to offer these products:
- Video slots, progressive jackpot slots, and Megaways slots such as Big Bass Bonanza
- Blackjack, including classic, Xchange, and Lightning
- Roulette, including American, European, and Double Bonus Spin
- Table games, including baccarat, poker, and craps
- Video poker, including Ultimate X
Betfair Casino in the UK has a collection of in-house live dealer games, which means you get to play on branded tables. The UK app also matches New Jersey’s Stardust Casino with regards to third-party software. Specifically, both casinos feature live dealer games from Evolution, which means customer can play the following:
- Live blackjack
- Live roulette
- Live baccarat
- Live poker
- Live craps
- Live game shows, including Dream Catcher
Some of the main features to look out for if Betfair Casino launches in New York are:
- Desktop and mobile casino games
- Live dealer technology
- Access to demo and real-money games
- Game guides
- Rate and save games to your account
- Ongoing casino promotions
Betfair isn’t as big in poker as it is in other parts of the gambling world, but it does offer Texas Hold’em et al in Europe. In fact, Betfair Poker was also available in New Jersey until 2014. However, the poker room was closed due to a lack of interest. At the time of writing, it’s a long shot that any app New York will offer online poker, so the odds on Betfair Poker NY launching any time soon are even longer. That doesn’t mean it’s never going to happen. It certainly could. But, at this stage, you’re more likely to see Betfair offer online sports betting in New York than poker.
Betfair New York Payment Methods We Expect
Betfair NY Experience Expected on Mobile vs Desktop
Stardust Online Casino isn’t big in the mobile app game, but FanDuel US and Betfair UK are. Therefore, we can defer to these apps. The good news for those who want to bet on sport via an iOS or Android app is that Flutter Entertainment has excellent mobile software.
FanDuel, for example, has a 4.8/5 rating in the Apple App Store. Over in the UK, Betfair Sports has a 4.7/5 rating. Those exceptional scores. So, as well as giving you access to a full range of products and services, you can expect the New York app to be slick, efficient, and packed with useful features such as Face ID logins.
Customer Support for Betfair
You can’t be around for more than two decades and not know a thing or two about customer service. Betfair ensures it has customer support agents in every local market it’s active in. Therefore, if you’re in New York, you’ll be able to contact local agents via email, live chat, phone, and social media.
Betfair operates under the “fairest way to play” moniker when it comes to safer gambling . This means it wants customers to have fun without getting into financial difficulties. In addition to tips and advice on responsible gambling, customers can use these tools:
- Personalized betting, deposit, and spending limits
- Account timeouts and self-exclusion
- Contact details for problem gambling organizations, such as 1-800-GAMBLER
Our Verdict of What We Expect From Betfair in NY: (9/10)
Betfair has been active in some of the world’s most competitive gambling markets since 2000. Although the brand hasn’t fared as well in the US as it has in Europe, the potential is there. Indeed, under the wing of Flutter Entertainment, Betfair has the resources to relaunch its casino and sportsbook in states across the US, including New York.
The resources can be combined with products from other apps within the Flutter Entertainment stable to create a unique platform. This, of course, is all subject to Betfair being licensed by the New York State Gaming Commission. We don’t know when, or if, that will happen. But, if it does, you can expect Betfair Casino and Sportsbook to be an intriguing addition to the New York gambling scene.
When will Betfair be legal in New York?
Is Betfair Online Casino legal in New York?
Is Betfair legal in New York?
Is Betfair available in the USA?
Can I place an online bet at Betfair New York?
Can you use Betfair Casino in New York?
Find Betfair in Other States
- Stardust Online Casino New Jersey (formerly Betfair Casino US)
- TVG Sports (formerly Betfair Sports US)