What happens when the biggest name in fantasy sports adds betting to its stable of products? You get DraftKings Sportsbook, an innovative app that’s currently among the betting industry’s leading names. With sports betting legal in North Carolina since June 2023 and apps expected to launch in early 2024, we’ve taken a look at what DraftKings has to offer. We’ve also given you our expert opinion on the things this operator does well and where it can improve.
This should give you a clear picture of what to expect when DraftKings North Carolina launches in the Tar Heel State. So, keep reading for a complete breakdown, including details of the DraftKings North Carolina Sportsbook promo code. Alternatively, you can read more about all of the upcoming North Carolina online betting apps.
DraftKings North Carolina Promo Code & Bonus We Expect
DraftKings North Carolina should offer a five-figure welcome bonus once it’s live in the state. You probably won’t need a promo code for the offer shown below, but you will need to make an initial deposit of $5 or more.
|NC DraftKings Launch Date:||TBD|
|Currently Legal in:||21 states, including New Jersey, New York, and Michigan|
|Bonus Expected:||20% first deposit bonus up to $1,000|
|Retail Betting Locations:||21 states, including New Jersey, New York, and Michigan|
|Last Verified:||September 2023|
Usual DraftKings Sportsbook Welcome Bonus Bets
- Bonus amount: 20% deposit bonus up to $1,000
- Rollover: 25x
- Min deposit: $5
- Bonus expiry: 90 days
Based on what’s available in other states, the DraftKings North Carolina welcome bonus is odd-on to be a deposit-based deal. Specifically, you’ll be able to get a 20% deposit bonus when you create a new account. You shouldn’t need a DraftKings promo code, but you will need to use our secure registration link.
What’s more, you’ll need to be within the state of North Carolina and 21 or older. Assuming you meet these requirements, you can deposit $5 or more and receive the 20% deposit bonus. The top-end value of this opening offer is $1,000. That matches the deals available at other top-rated online sports betting sites. However, there are two areas where this welcome offer falters.
Firstly, the deposit multiplier is 20%. The average across the online sports betting industry is 100% (ie a one-for-one deposit match). Secondly, the playthrough target is 25x. This means you need to wager $25 on sports bets or daily fantasy sports (DFS) contests to release $1 worth of bonus bets. Moreover, the minimum odds need to be -300.
Who is this bonus best for?
These wagering requirements could make the DraftKings North Carolina welcome bonus slightly less appealing if you’re a recreational player. If sports wagering is your main hobby, hitting the necessary targets to get maximum value might not be a problem. But, if you only place a few bets per month, you might not get a lot from this offer.
One thing we should say, however, is that you receive bonus bets rather than a single wager like you do with other bonuses. This means you’ve got more freedom to wager your bonus bets on a variety of sports over a period of time, rather than being forced to make one big wager. So, despite some restrictive wagering requirements, this promotion has some advantages over other offers.
How to Claim your DraftKings North Carolina Bonus When Available
Make sure you follow these steps to something extra when DraftKings North Carolina goes live:
- Follow our DraftKings North Carolina sign-up link to visit the main website.
- Use the sign-up button to open the registration form and input your details.
- Log into your account (once it’s verified).
- Deposit $5 or more to receive a 20% bonus up to $1,000.
- Start betting (you’ll release $1 of your bonus per $25 wagered).
Will You Need a DraftKings North Carolina Promo Code?
You won’t need a promo code to claim the DraftKings North Carolina welcome bonus. In fact, it’s rare that you’ll need a promo code for any bonus bets offered at DraftKings Sportsbook.
Bonus Terms and Conditions
Claiming and releasing bonus bets requires some work on your part. The framework within which you’ll need to work is defined by these terms and conditions:
- Promo Codes: Some bonus offers require a promo code, some don’t. In general, you’ll need to enter promo codes when you register for an account (if you’re claiming a welcome bonus) or before you place a bet/make a deposit. DraftKings Sportsbook North Carolina probably won’t ask for a promo code when you join as it doesn’t require them in other states. If you need a promo code (or we’ve got an exclusive one), we’ll let you know.
- Rollover: You can’t withdraw bonus bets. What you can do, however, is use them in place of cash to place bets. Anything you win is paid out in cash, but the bonus credit isn’t returned. This means the rollover is 1x (ie you wagered the bonus bet once to release its value). DraftKings Sportsbook uses a slightly different system to the industry average. Instead of a single bet, it gives new customers bonus credit that can be used on a variety of sports wagering markets. As such, the rollover is 25x. This means you need to stake $25 to release $1 worth of bonus credit.
- Minimum Deposit: There will always be a minimum deposit. At DraftKings Sportsbook, the minimum deposit to unlock the welcome bonus is $5. That’s lower than the industry average ($10), which makes this deal more accessible to recreational sports bettors.
- Eligible Sports and Bets: Bonus bets can be restricted to certain sports. For example, DraftKings offers MLB profit boosts. That means you need to wager money on baseball to unlock the bonus. There may also be betting restrictions. The welcome bonus at DraftKings has a 25x rollover but your bets only contribute towards that target if the odds are -300 or greater.
- Expiry Date: Bonus bets expire. We’d love that not to be true, but you can’t keep hold of site credits forever. The great thing about DraftKings Sportsbook is that it has longer than average expiry dates. For example, you’ll have 90 days to claim your bonus bets as a new customer.
Mistakes to Avoid when Claiming a Bonus
We want North Carolina sports betting customers to get maximum enjoyment from their time online. That’s why we’ve written this DraftKings Sportsbook review. In line with this, here are some mistakes you need to avoid if you want extra credits:
- Read the terms and conditions
We’ve given you an overview of the main terms you’ll need to meet if you’re claiming online sports betting bonuses. There’s no excuse not to check them before you start because, if you miss any, you won’t get your bonus.
- Use your bets wisely
You need to make specific bets to claim and release bonuses. Don’t miss out on offers because you wagered money on the wrong sport or the odds weren’t long enough.
- Don’t blow your bankroll
Online sports betting is always entertaining but positive results aren’t guaranteed. Bonuses bring some certainty to an uncertain business. In other words, if you meet the wagering requirements, you’ll get a positive return (ie you’ll get bonus credits). That’s the best reason to shoot for promo offers. However, for all the positives, you shouldn’t spend more than you can afford just to claim bonuses. If it’s not within the limits of your bankroll, don’t take the offer.
More DraftKings NC Promotions to Expect
Create a DraftKings account once this operator is licensed in the Tar Heel State and you’ll get access to an ever-changing line-up of promotions, including:
- Odds and Profit Boosts: DraftKings Sportsbook North Carolina will boost the odds for certain events, which means the odds are lengthened to give you more potential value. You’ll also be able to get profit boosts on certain winnings bets.
- Sportsbook Pools: DraftKings Sportsbook has a variety of great features and pools are among the best. These pools are picking contests that allow you to earn points based on the predictions you make. Earn enough points to get on the leaderboard and you’ll win a share of the prizepool. Entering contests is free in most instances, which means you can turn your knowledge into bonus credits.
- Loyalty Rewards: DraftKings’ loyalty rewards program is called Dynasty and it operates on a bets for points basis. A $10 straight or futures bet earns you one point. Every $5 wagered on parlays gets you one point. These points determine your VIP status which, in turn, helps you unlock a variety of comps and bonuses.
Is DraftKings Legal in NC?
DraftKings Sportsbook wasn’t available in North Carolina at the time of writing, but DraftKings Daily Fantasy Sports was. This can and probably will change once online sports betting in the state becomes a reality. DraftKings already has a presence in North Carolina, so that should put it at the front of the queue when licenses are being handed out.
When Can you use DraftKings in NC?
You’ll be able to use DraftKings Sportsbook NC once it receives a local online gambling license. We don’t have a launch date for you right now, but the Tar Heel State made online sports betting legal in June 2023. The projected timeline for licensing sportsbooks is fluid at this point, but DraftKings will almost certainly be among the operators applying for a license. Current indications are that online and mobile betting apps will launch in early 2024.
North Carolina Sports Betting Timeline
- 2022: Efforts to pass online sports betting laws in North Carolina are unsuccessful.
- March 2023: Rep. Jason Saine introduces HB 347.
- May 2023: HB 347 passes the Senate Finance Committee.
- June 2023: HB 347 passes through the House and gets signed by Gov. Cooper on June 14.
- July 2023: 12 sportsbooks are permitted in the state, eight of which can be land-based.
How to Use DraftKings in NC Once Live
North Carolinians can follow the steps below to join DraftKings Sportsbook NC once it’s live in the Tar Heel State:
Step 1: Tap to Join
Our sign-up link is not only the safest and quickest way to join DraftKings Sportsbook, it activates the welcome bonus. Therefore, if you want to join DraftKings North Carolina once it’s live and get the latest bonus offer, make sure you follow our link.
Step 2: Enter Your Personal Details
You need to enter your personal details to join an online sportsbook. This means providing your name, address, date of birth, and the last four digits of your Social Security Number to create an account at DraftKings North Carolina. Note that you need to be 21 or older to join.
Step 3: Verify Your Location
North Carolina gambling regulations dictate that you must be in the state to use locally licensed online sportsbooks. DraftKings Sportsbook uses geolocation technology to verify your location.
Step 4: Log in, Deposit, and Bet
Once you’ve verified your identity and location, it’s time to log in. From there, go to the cashier, make a deposit, and start betting on professional or college sports.
How DraftKings Sportsbook NC Could Compare to other Apps
Will DraftKings Sportsbook North Carolina be the state’s top betting app? It certainly has the potential but, as you can see from the table below, there are other operators with strong opening offers.
20% deposit bonus up to $1,000
5 x $50 second chance bets
Deposit match up to $1,000
DraftKings Sportsbook North Carolina Review Based on Other States
DraftKings first got into the industry via DFS. Things in that part of the industry aren’t vastly different from what you’ll find in sports betting. However, the interface was adjusted slightly to ensure customers get a clear view of the latest betting options, odds, and offers.
Overall, the developers have done a decent job of creating a well-stocked yet usable app. Some people will like the black, white, and green color scheme. Others won’t. If we leave the aesthetics to one side, DraftKings Sportsbook has a classic three-panel layout. This means you’ll find the sports betting menu on the left of the page, the odds in the center, and your bet slip on the right.
Across the top of the page are additional menu options, but the feature that most impressed us was DraftKings Social. This is a social media-style feed that lists the latest promotions, special offers, and sports information. It’s also a place for customers to connect and create their own DFS contests. This feature is unique to DraftKings and one of the reasons we’re confident it will become a favorite with North Carolina sports betting aficionados.
Overall, it’s a user-friendly interface but it’s not without its weak points. Aside from a color scheme some users might not like, there’s a lot going on. We’re not saying the page is overloaded with features, but it doesn’t have a scaled back look that mobile-first sportsbooks have. Therefore, it might take a while before you’re comfortable with all the available options. What’s worth noting is that there is a virtual assistant that you can call on at any time to receive tips on how to make use of all the great features available within the DraftKings Sportsbook app.
Pros and Cons
How will the DraftKings North Carolina app stand out from the crowd and what areas could be in need of some attention? Here’s our take on the app’s pros and cons:
DraftKings North Carolina Online Sports Betting (4/5)
OK, so we know the DraftKings Sportsbook app in North Carolina will have a user-friendly interface and some innovative features. Those are positives, but a sportsbook without enough betting options is like a car without wheels (useless). We know DraftKings is big on basketball, football, baseball, and hockey from its exploits in the DFS betting industry, but what about other sports? Let’s find out.
Legal Sports Betting Markets
There will always be a natural bias towards local sports teams, which is why you can expect a special focus on the NFL’s Carolina Panthers, the NHL’s Carolina Hurricanes, and the NBA’s Charlotte Hornets. Odds and offers for those teams will be part of a sports betting menu that covers the following:
- Aussie Rules
- Baseball, including the MLB
- Basketball, including the NBA and college basketball
- Football, including the NFL and college football
- Hockey, including the NHL
- MMA, including the UFC
- Motorsports, including NASCAR and Formula 1
- Rugby League and Union
- Soccer, including MLS and the Premier League
- Table Tennis
- Specials, including the Oscars and Political bets
DraftKings North Carolina will cover all the usual sports betting options, including pre-event and in-play wagers. You’ll also get access to betting pools. As we’ve explained, pools are contests that allow you to win prizes if you’re better at making picks than your peers. Of course, if you’d prefer to wager money without worrying about what other people are doing, DraftKings NC will cover these bet types:
- Moneyline: A moneyline bet is an A or B proposition related to the result of an event, ie will A or B win?
- Futures: Betting on the outcome of a league or tournament, such as the MLB World Series, is known as a futures bet.
- Parlays: A parlay bet combines multiple picks to create a single wager. All picks have to be correct for these bets to win, unless you’ve taken out parlay insurance.
- Point spreads: a point spread bet requires you to say whether a team will win if they start with a points deficit/advantage, ie can they beat the spread.
- Props bets: Betting on highly specific outcomes, such as a player to score or a team to perform a certain action, is known as a prop. DraftKings NC will offer player props and team props.
- Teasers: Teaser bets are a type of parlay where you can change the spread in exchange for reducing the odds.
- Totals: A totals bet allows you to wager money on a result being over or under a specific line.
Mobile Sports Betting Features
DraftKings North Carolina will offer its services via a desktop website or mobile sports betting app. There won’t be any loss of service between the two mediums, which means you’ll be able to access these features using a PC, Mac, iOS, or Android device:
- Pre-game and live betting options
- Live sports streams
- DraftKings Social
- Sports betting stats and results
- Sports betting tips
- Responsible gambling tools
- Daily fantasy sports
- Enhanced security (for mobile wagering) such as Face ID logins
North Carolina DraftKings Payment Methods We Expect
DraftKings offers the lowest deposit and withdrawal limits wherever it is licensed. The minimum deposit is $5 and withdrawals start from $1. Those are lower limits that you’ll find at any other legal sports betting site, so that’s definitely a positive. The ways you can pay are listed in the table below.
< 1 hour
DraftKings North Carolina App Experience Expected vs Desktop
Scroll through the DraftKings Sportsbook reviews in the Apple App Store or Google Play Store and the majority of them are positive. We saw one user review that mentioned a possible issue with the onsite odds calculator but, from what we can see, this is unsubstantiated.
Of course, we’re not saying the mobile wagering app is perfect. However, with an average score of 4.8/5, it’s clearly a solid platform. This means you’ll be able to access a full selection of odds, offers, and features one the North Carolina DraftKings betting app is available to download.
Customer Support for DraftKings Sportsbook North Carolina
The onsite FAQ is fairly comprehensive, so tackling minor issues on your account shouldn’t be a problem. If, however, you need more help with your DraftKings account, you can contact the customer support team 24/7 via these methods:
- Live chat
- Online contact form (you can use this form to request a callback)
- Social media @DraftKings
Legal online sports betting operators are required to offer a safe service to all customers. Part of this commitment to safety is responsible gambling. In line with this, DraftKings Sportsbook North Carolina will offer these responsible gambling tools:
- A problem gambling FAQ
- A clear overview of DraftKings North Carolina house rules
- Personalized deposit, session timer, and betting limits
- Timeouts and self-exclusion options
- Contact details for problem gambling organizations
Our Verdict of the Expected DraftKings North Carolina: (4/5)
DraftKings NC was already a big name in sports before it got into betting thanks to its fantasy contests. Now, with legal online sports betting set to launch in the Tar Heel State, this company has the potential to build on this foundation. There are always areas online sports betting operators could improve. For example, the first deposit bonus at DraftKings North Carolina might not be as generous as some.
However, when it comes to overall service and quality, it’s hard to fault the package DraftKings offers. The software is easy to use, has some flashes of genius thanks to unique features, and there are plenty of competitive odds. Add to this a reputation for excellence and the North Carolina DraftKings app has the potential to be one of the state’s finest.