What are some ethical issues regarding machine learning?
The Cambridge Analytica scandal with Facebook, where a political consulting firm used data from the social networking site without users’ knowledge or consent, illustrated a lot of the problems associated with the collection and use of user data. While many end-user license agreements specify how users’ data might be used, many social media users may not read the fine print.
|Free Download: Machine Learning and Why It Matters|
Another problem is that these machine learning algorithms may be “black boxes” where it’s impossible to see how they really work. It may be impossible to know why a machine learning algorithm made a decision.
One area of machine learning is making medical diagnoses. An algorithm might look at X-rays to find cancer. A human doctor can explain why they made a diagnosis, but we might not know how a machine learning algorithm determined that a patient had cancer or not.
Another issue is the use of machine learning training data and possible biases. There have been several instances of racial and other biases making it into machine learning programs unintentionally. One algorithm identified black people as gorillas, and another altered the facial features of people of color to make them appear more “European” while claiming to beautify them.
One way to counteract this is to have more people from diverse backgrounds in the AI field.
Another problem is the safe use of machine learning and artificial intelligence. AI and machine learning programs could develop behavior that people wouldn’t want them to, such as stopping people from turning them off.
More Q&As from our experts
- Why is machine bias a problem in machine learning?
- Why is bias versus variance important for machine learning?
- What are the five schools of machine learning?
- Machine Learning
- Artificial Intelligence
- Training Data
- Machine Bias
- Open Source
- Open-Source License
- Source Code
- Autonomic Computing
- Computational Linguistics
Tech moves fast! Stay ahead of the curve with Techopedia!
Join nearly 200,000 subscribers who receive actionable tech insights from Techopedia.
- Data Governance Is Everyone's Business
- Key Applications for AI in the Supply Chain
- Service Mesh for Mere Mortals - Free 100+ page eBook
- Do You Need a Head of Remote?
- Web Data Collection in 2022 - Everything you need to know
- How to Protect Microsoft 365 from NOBELIUM Hackers
- 5 Steps to Streamline Security for your Hybrid Network