What are some key things to know about corporate data backup?
Corporate data backup is a really broad but important topic. There are many approaches available today depending on what data you’re talking about. However, on the most basic level you want your data to be replicated and backed up in a separate location. Some companies with multiple locations choose to do this on premise between systems at each location – in case one location goes down you can either operate from a second location or restore from the second location.
The recent popularity of the cloud has made things easier with backup and replication, but there are also contrarians today that don’t like the idea of their data being stored somewhere else and choose to keep it on prem.
I’m a cloud fan – I think the benefits outweigh the risks, but you do want to be careful about who you use for that cloud backup. Ask if they own their own data centers or just colo at data centers that are owned by someone else. Research the different security levels that data centers have and what security certifications the service provider has. There are standardized security levels and certifications that will tell you how secure that service and location are.
In short, replicate your data in secure places that allow you to restore quickly or have no disruption in service at all and make sure it’s replicated in more than one location, preferably far away from one another, and ensure that the physical security along with the software’s security is at a level that you feel comfortable with.
More Q&As from our experts
- How is data analytics being used in the telecom industry?
- How can data analytics help smaller companies compete with bigger competitors?
- How can data analytics help companies build stronger branding strategies?
- Data Backup
- Cloud Computing
- Cloud Backup
- Cloud Backup Service Provider
- Data Center
- Service Provider
- Database Column
- Data Modeling
Tech moves fast! Stay ahead of the curve with Techopedia!
Join nearly 200,000 subscribers who receive actionable tech insights from Techopedia.
- Data Governance Is Everyone's Business
- Key Applications for AI in the Supply Chain
- Service Mesh for Mere Mortals - Free 100+ page eBook
- Do You Need a Head of Remote?
- Web Data Collection in 2022 - Everything you need to know
- How to Protect Microsoft 365 from NOBELIUM Hackers
- 5 Steps to Streamline Security for your Hybrid Network