What are some of the key concerns about the use of big data in health care and how can they be mitigated?
We need to solve core data fragmentation and dispersion problems for health care, as well as provide patients improved access, control and transparency for use of their personal health data.
We have seen many recent failures in attempts to integrate new technology within high-profile health care systems, and despite enormous expenditures. These failures show that successful development of new patient data systems will require the design of core new implementation and development strategies within health care systems.
Digital health innovation hubs that leverage multidisciplinary teams are a promising new strategy for successful integration of new big data systems. Innovation hubs are a way to gather the right technology experts working together to decrease barriers within the health care system.
• How data is captured (accuracy, complete and how formatted) for multiple systems
How to mitigate: Data governance and integrity expertise in health information specialists
• Dirty data: There is concern that data will be corrupted, inconsistent.
• Data Reporting: Data must be extracted and examined. Most of reporting in health care is external due to regulatory and quality assessment programs.
How to mitigate: Providers can use qualified registries and reporting tools built into their electronic health records.
• Data Sharing: Fundamental differences in the way EHRs are designed and implemented can make it difficult to move data between organizations, which can leave information out that is necessary for key decisions, strategies, and patient follow-up. This ultimately affects overall outcomes.
How to mitigate: There are new tools and strategies such as public APIs and partnerships to make it easier for developers to share data accurately and securely.
More Q&As from our experts
- What are some of the dangers of using machine learning impulsively without a business plan?
- What skills are required to get a job in data analytics?
- Can AI help in the battle against fake news?
- Big Data
- IT Healthcare
- Electronic Health Record
- Data Governance
- Dirty Data
- Data Storage
- Data Security
- Machine Learning
- Data Breach
- Clean Computing
Tech moves fast! Stay ahead of the curve with Techopedia!
Join nearly 200,000 subscribers who receive actionable tech insights from Techopedia.