What skills are required get a job in data analytics?
I think I look at this a little different than most. At the very minimum, you need mid-level Excel skills, curiosity, critical thinking and that ability to learn quickly. From there, you want to know how databases work and how to code SQL so you can dig deeper into the data sets that you have.
It is also important to have the ability to visualize results into an easy-to-read manner. My rule of thumb is that it should take no longer than three minutes to look at a visual and understand what it’s trying to say.
What will make you stick out, though, is if you also have some knowledge on data cleansing, ETL (extract transform & load) processes, knowing how to code Python, ability to use APIs to extract data and even more recently a statistical programming language called R is being used to apply more statistical analysis to your data sets.
More Q&As from our experts
- How are data management and data analytics related?
- How can data analytics help companies build stronger branding strategies?
- How can data analytics help smaller companies compete with bigger competitors?
- Data Analytics
- Microsoft Excel
- Structured Query Language
- Data Cleansing
- Extract Transform Load
- Application Programming Interface
- Enterprise Resource Planning
Tech moves fast! Stay ahead of the curve with Techopedia!
Join nearly 200,000 subscribers who receive actionable tech insights from Techopedia.