Definition - What does Data Virtualization mean?
Data virtualization is the process of aggregating data from different sources of information to develop a single, logical and virtual view of information so that it can be accessed by front-end solutions such as applications, dashboards and portals without having to know the data's exact storage location.
Techopedia explains Data Virtualization
Many organizations run multiple types of database management systems, such as Oracle and SQL servers, which do not work well with one another. Therefore, enterprises face new challenges in data integration and storage of huge amounts of data. With data virtualization, business users are able to get real-time and reliable information quickly, which helps them to take major business decisions.
The process of data virtualization involves abstracting, transforming, federating and delivering data from disparate sources. The main goal of data virtualization technology is to provide a single point of access to the data by aggregating it from a wide range of data sources. This allows users to access the applications without having to know their exact location.
The most recent implementation of the data virtualization concept is in cloud computing technology.
Data virtualization software is often used in tasks such as:
- Data integration
- Business integration
- Service-oriented architecture data services
- Enterprise search
Some of the capabilities of data virtualization include:
- Abstraction of technical aspects of stored data, such as:
- Application programming interface
- Access language
- Storage structure
- Connection to disparate data sources and the ability to make data accessible from a single place
- Data transformation, quality improvement and integration of data, depending on the business requirements
- Ability to combine the data result sets across multiple sources (also known as the data federation)
- Ability to deliver the data as requested by users
Why Traditional Database Technology Fails to Scale
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: