How is data analytics being used in the telecom industry?
Data analytics in telecom is huge. Whether it’s analyzing sales data to project where you think different products’ final sales numbers should be, analyzing churn rates to see how you can keep customers longer, analyzing competitors’ prices to see how you compete… the list goes on and on.
However, one of the most challenging pieces that most wouldn’t think about is serviceability. Most people just see entering an address into a website and it returns if service is there (or not), but on the back end it becomes extremely complicated. For telecom service, the location of service is extremely important. Think about it for a second: What if the mailbox of my business is actually 1,000 ft away from the building that needs the internet service? Most telecom providers will use the USPS address, but that tells you where the mailbox is, not where the building is. So there is a ton of analytics going on around rooftop geolocation data to tell us where the actual building is and what path the service needs to take to get there. What if you’d need to trench a parking lot to get the service to the building? Can you use analytics, geocoding and maps to give you that answer? Traditionally, the telecom provider has to physically roll a truck out to the location to take a look, but that’s a ton of overhead cost. What if analytics could tell you that? So the telecom industry is booming.
More Q&As from our experts
- What are some key things to know about corporate data backup?
- How can data analytics help smaller companies compete with bigger competitors?
- How can data analytics help companies build stronger branding strategies?
- Data Analytics
- Telecom Analytics
- Database Column
- Data Modeling
Tech moves fast! Stay ahead of the curve with Techopedia!
Join nearly 200,000 subscribers who receive actionable tech insights from Techopedia.
- Robotic Process Automation: What You Need to Know
- Data Governance Is Everyone's Business
- Key Applications for AI in the Supply Chain
- Service Mesh for Mere Mortals - Free 100+ page eBook
- Do You Need a Head of Remote?
- Web Data Collection in 2022 - Everything you need to know
- How to Protect Microsoft 365 from NOBELIUM Hackers