How is SIEM different from general event log management and monitoring?
In some ways, security information and event management (SIEM) is different than the normal, average event log management that businesses use to look at network vulnerability and performance. However, as a kind of blanket term for a range of technologies, SIEM is in many ways built on the core principle of event log management and monitoring. The biggest difference may be the actual techniques and features involved.
Generally, SIEM is a combination of security information management (SIM) and security event management (SEM). What that means is that SIEM systems incorporate a lot of general capturing of digital log recording, along with more specific systems that look at user events in context. For example, a SEM or security event management resource may be set up to capture different kinds of specific reports on account logins that happened at a certain access level, at a certain time of the day, or in a certain pattern that network administrators can use to sense danger, or deal with various types of administrative issues. However, a security information management system offers broader reports based on all of the aggregate data that is collected about network traffic.
Some experts have defined ideas of how SIEM supersedes the average event log monitoring tool. For example, some suggest that the major value of SIEM is in more specific reports, and more specific features that reveal more about developed outcomes in a network. Where event log monitoring and management may just offer a generic view of what gets generated in a log process, SIEM tools can offer a lot of proprietary value, in terms of really getting into network activity and seeing what goes on in a network.
More Q&As from our experts
- How can unstructured data benefit your business's bottom line?
- What are some of the dangers of using machine learning impulsively without a business plan?
- What is TensorFlow’s role in machine learning?
- Security Incident and Event Management
- Event Log
- Security Information Management
- Security Event Management
- Network Administrator
- Network Administration
- Network Traffic
- Business Continuity Plan
- Information Assurance
- Access Control List (Microsoft)
Tech moves fast! Stay ahead of the curve with Techopedia!
Join nearly 200,000 subscribers who receive actionable tech insights from Techopedia.
- European Sharepoint, Office 365 & Azure Conference
- Robotic Process Automation: What You Need to Know
- Data Governance Is Everyone's Business
- Key Applications for AI in the Supply Chain
- Service Mesh for Mere Mortals - Free 100+ page eBook
- Do You Need a Head of Remote?
- Web Data Collection in 2022 - Everything you need to know