Definition - What does Data Breach mean?
A data breach is also known as a data spill or data leak.
Techopedia explains Data Breach
A data breach occurs when an unauthorized hacker or attacker accesses a secure database or repository. Data breaches are typically geared toward logical or digital data and often conducted over the Internet or a network connection.
A data breach may result in data loss, including financial, personal and health information. A hacker also may use stolen data to impersonate himself to gain access to a more secure location. For example, a hacker's data breach of a network administrator's login credentials can result in access of an entire network.
- Security Breach
- Personally Identifiable Information (PII)
- Personally Identifiable Financial Information (PIFI)
- Personal Health Information (PHI)
- Health Insurance Portability And Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Network Security
- Data Security
- Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS)
- Data Breach
- California Security Breach Information Act (SB 1386)
New Advances in Biometrics: A More Secure Password
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
The 4th Era of IT Infrastructure: Superconverged Systems:
Approaches and Benefits of Network Virtualization:
Free E-Book: Public Cloud Guide:
Free Tool: Virtual Health Monitor:
Free 30 Day Trial – Turbonomic: